5.0

Update by user 2 days ago

They have stopped using that Security company, and going with a different one. Manager said I shouldn't have any more problems.

Original review posted by user Oct 05

I went into the Sav-a-Lot at 5841 Broadway, in Cleveland OH around 8:10 AM, 10/05/2017, with a security dog, with his security animal vest on.About 10 minutes later I was approached by a female security guard and was told to get out of the store.

I said he's a service animal. She then asked if I had documentation. When I said no, I was told I had to get out of the store, that no dogs were allowed due to OSHA regulations. I have been a customer at the store ever since it opened, and have been in that store the past few months with my Seizure Alert service animal without incident.

When I asked what sort of documentation she wanted to see, she refused to answer. I tried to explain that under ADA regulations my service animal was not required to have, or provide "legal documentation". Note: If she is looking for registration from one of the "service animal registration" sites online, those sites are NOT legit. She insisted that I leave or she would call the police and have me arrested.

I asked her to please come outside with me and talk to me and was told "I have no interest in talking with you lady, take the dog out of the store now." We do keep ADA regulation printouts in the car. When my housemate tried to give her a copy of the ADA regulations she had gone into the office and refused to come out. "II. Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA.

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability." "To determine if an animal is a service animal, a public entity or a private business may ask two questions: 1. Is this animal required because of a disability? 2. What work or task has this animal been trained to perform?

These questions may not be asked if the need for the service animal is obvious (e.g., the dog is guiding an individual who is blind or is pulling a person’s wheelchair). A public entity or private business may not ask about the nature or extent of an individual’s disability or require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal, or require the animal to wear an identifying vest." The ADA document was given to one of the cashiers and we asked that it be given to the security guard. I don't know what agency provides the security for the Sav-a-lot stores in my area, but they need re-trained on their attitude and what they can ask of a person with a service dog.

I don't want to get the gov't involved, or hire a lawyer...I just want them aware of ADA rules.

Review about: Save A Lot Customer Care.

Reason of review: Denied Access With Service Animal.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Save A Lot?

Comments

"I went into the Sav-a-Lot at 5841 Broadway, in Cleveland OH around 8:10 AM, 10/05/2017, with a security dog, with his security animal vest"

"have been in that store the past few months with my Seizure Alert service animal without incident."

The above are quotes from your post.

Is it a security dog or a seizure alert service dog? It can't be both. The woman had the right to ask you to leave because the first thing you said according to your post wasn't that it was a service dog but that it was a "security dog".

to Service Dog handler from IL #1376496

Amen.Jeez.

These people who make the rest of us sound like *** irk me. All I can say is, learn the ACTUAL law. Not this person's made up version.

What "documentation" she needed, and "security animal" smacks of a pet owner that's dragging Fluffems everywhere, putting it in carts because it can't heel, as it toilets in same cart or store pet owner.

If it's a service dog, under federal law definition, call it that.If it isnt, leave it at home.

to Rai #1377324

As I mentioned above, I was upset with the "security" guard that she refused my "service dog" access at the time I wrote the post and simply mixed up the two terms and didn't catch it to edit it. A case of my head running faster than my fingers!

Sorry for the confusion.

to Service Dog handler from IL #1377322

I was upset when I posted and mixed up security and service. He's a service animal.